Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Crow Lake- review


Crow Lake (Today Show Book Club #7)

Amazon.com Review

Canadian writer Mary Lawson's debut novel is a beautifully crafted and shimmering tale of love, death, and redemption. The story, narrated by 26-year-old Kate Morrison, is set in the eponymous Crow Lake, an isolated rural community where time has stood still. The reader dives in and out of a year's worth of Kate's childhood memories--when she was 7 and her parents were killed in an automobile accident that left Kate, her younger sister Bo, and two older brothers, Matt and Luke, orphaned. When Kate, the successful zoologist and professor who is accustomed to dissecting everything through a microscope, receives an invitation to Matt's son's 18th birthday party, she must suddenly analyze her own relationship and come to terms with her past before she forsakes a future with the man she loves. Kate is still in turmoil over the events of that fateful summer and winter 20 years ago when the tragedy of another local family, the Pyes, spilled over into their lives with earth-shattering consequences. But does the tragedy really lie in the past or the present? Lawson's narrative flows effortlessly in ever-increasing circles, swirling impressions in the reader's mind until form takes shape and the reader is left to reflect on the whole. Crow Lake is a wonderful achievement that will ripple in and out of the reader's consciousness long after the last page is turned. --Nicola Perry, Amazon.co.uk


My thoughts:
First of all, despite the spooky sounding title and book cover, there are no vampires, werewolves, or supernatural beings of any kind in this book. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if it was winter, but since I was reading it by the pool, I was looking for something a little more fun (maybe even some paranormal stuff).

My MIL really loved this book and even picked it for her book club selection. When I looked it up on Amazon, I realized that it was also the "Today Show's" book club selection (They have a book club? Who knew?).  So lots of people loved this book, I am just not one of those people.  I think that Mary Lawson is a talented writer, but it was just far too sad for me. I didn't hate it, but I prefer happy books with happy endings
 
Despite the fact, that is wasn't my favorite, I think it would be perfect for book club.  Exploring the theme of what really makes a tragedy would make for great discussions.
Here's even some discussion questions for you: http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides_C/crow_lake1.asp
I give it a 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Linking up here:

No comments:

Post a Comment